Summer is often a time when Florida cyclists get serious. With more sunlight, more free time, and a calendar full of races to prepare for, it’s easy for cyclists to get lost in the training hustle. Training is something that requires immense amounts of dedication, focus, and patience. All riders can agree that while some of life’s greatest joys come to cycling out on the open road, there is also a portion of training that is overwhelming and tiresome. Avoiding getting “burnt out” is difficult for many cyclists.
As a distraction from your hard work and training, let’s take a look at some fun facts about cycling. Bicycles have been around for quite a long time, it’s time we gave their history some attention. Here are 12 fun facts about cycling:
- The longest “tandem” bicycle seated 35 people, it was more than 20 meters long
- You can fit about 15 bicycles in the same space that one car occupies
- It is 20 times cheaper to maintain a bicycle than a car
- If the number of cyclists was tripled, the rate of motorist-bicyclist accidents would be cut in half
- The world manufactures about 100 million bikes each year
- Bicycle delivery services have become a significant industry over the last 30 years
- The word “bicycle” was not coined until the 1860s
- The Tour de France was established in 1903.
- China boasts more than a half billion bicycles
- In America, people use their bikes for one out of every hundred trips
- The fastest bicyclist is American rider, John Howard
- There are twice as many bicycles in the world than cars
Often in heavy pursuit of honing their craft, cyclists sometimes need an extra push to remember to have fun. Cycling is one of the most fun and exhilarating sports around. It’s important to not lose sight of the things that make cycling great.